North Allegheny to hold ‘live’ graduation, other events to honor Class of 2020
Wednesday, May 6, 2020 | 11:01 PM
Unless restrictions on large social gatherings are still in effect, North Allegheny plans to proceed with a graduation ceremony for the Class of 2020.
District officials said the in-person commencement is tentatively planned for Friday, July 17 at Newman Stadium.
If the event is canceled because of state guidelines, a celebration and reunion for graduating seniors will be held during next year’s Homecoming celebration or over the Thanksgiving or winter breaks, the distract announced.
“We recognize how disappointing it is for our students, families, and friends who won’t have the opportunity to participate in traditional end-of-year programming,” said Superintendent Robert Scherrer.
“The hope is that these events will bring everyone together to show support for our seniors and still allow our students to engage in events that honor their efforts in achieving this important milestone,” he said.
Seniors also will be recognized during a virtual celebration on June 12. The ceremony will include student performances and messages from the North Allegheny community.
This also will be the official date on which the district confers diplomas for seniors.
In addition to the virtual celebration and graduation ceremony, a number of other events and activities are being held to recognize seniors including:
• Senior Spirit Week, May 11-15: Members of the junior class planned a virtual spirit week for seniors featuring daily themes. Students also are being encouraged to share photos or videos on social media.
• Senior Light Up Night, May 15: Members of the North Allegheny community are encouraged to turn on their porch lights for 20 minutes beginning at 8:20 p.m. to honor the class of 2020.
• Celebrate Our Seniors Parade, May 20: School officials and emergency services will parade through the community in vehicles. The parade route will be sent to families in advance.
• May 27: Senior Day of Service, May 27: Members of the senior class are planning an activity to give back to the community.
• Virtual Senior Banquet, June 5: Top scholars, scholarship award winners, and senior superlatives will be announced.