CCAC student newspaper staff wins multiple journalism awards
Wednesday, March 25, 2020 | 9:02 AM
A journalist for Community College of Allegheny County’s student newspaper,”The Voice,” has been honored by a national organization for a series of comic strips she produced, college officials announced.
Samantha Hrubes received an Honorable Mention Award in the 2019 Cartoon of the Year category from the Associated Collegiate Press.
The strip was published in “The Voice” student newspaper at the CCAC North Campus and the West Hills Center.
Because there is not a separate category for two-tier schools, Hrubes and other CCAC students had to compete against students at four-year institutions in the national contest, school officials said, adding that this is the second consecutive year a CCAC student has won this award.
“This year, more than ever before, we have a truly self-motivated, self-starting team, and I’m extremely proud of these students and their hard work,” said Rob Velella, the administrative club leader who oversees the publication.
“This experience provides them with opportunities to develop transferable skills, from writing and editing to teamwork and meeting deadlines. It’s a high-quality, high-integrity organization with an exceptional product,” he said.
Velella noted that the newspaper is entirely student-led and is staffed by a nearly 30 student volunteers who do all the writing, editing, researching and page design for the publication.
“The Voice” is funded by advertising and does not receive any money from the college or student fees.
In additional to the national recognition, the student newspaper also earned multiple state Student Keystone Media Awards for excellence in journalism.
Members of “The Voice” staff earned 17 Student Keystone Media Awards for 2020, including seven first-place awards — the largest number the newspaper has ever received.
The first-place awards were in the following categories:
• General News: “Attorney General sues Pgh. Water Authority over lead concerns” by Marissa Pekular.
• Editorial: “Success tips from the team,” “Journalism is on the rise,” and “You don’t need college” by Rebekah Waldron.
• Cartoon/Graphic: “Crisis Center North partners with CCAC North,” “IT: Chapter Two is more funny than frightening,” and “Pirates in turmoil as season comes to a close” by Eva Koumoundouros.
•Sports Photo: “Emperors skate for success, on and off ice” by Claire Kleffman.
• Feature Photo: “West Hills student awarded prestigious scholarship” by Van Alarcon.
• News Photo: “Pittsburgh parks propose tax” by Van Alarcon.
• Video Story: “West View Hub offers a space for community” by Claire Kleffman.
“The Voice” staff also picked up second-place awards for Ongoing News Coverage, Sports Story, Cartoon/Graphic Illustration, Feature Photo and News Photo categories.
Honorable Mentions were received in the categories of General News, Personality Profile, Editorial, Review and Cartoon/Graphic Illustration.